Labels for Blog Postings:

Reading: A Favorite Pastime

Double-EE loves to read. He begs to stop at every yardsale we pass. He spend his extra money on books, spending money as fast as he saves it. He can barely contain himself when I say it's time to go to the thrift store.

Our local "ARC" thrift store holds many treasure, not least of these is books. Non-fiction about dogs, the solar system, or science. The children's section with chapter books and fun stuff. He loves it, and when he brings home a big bag of books for less than $20, he drags them up to his room and is quiet for hours.

He has almost a photographic memory, but only when it comes to something that interests him. Math puzzles him completely, but give him a book about the solar system or dinosaurs and he can spout off facts and figures non-stop.


I'm not worried about his schooling or career aspirations right now. I know that as long as he loves to read about a variety of topics, he'll be just fine. (However, we ARE still doing schoolwork!)

Is it because I allow him to read read read? And does he read because I didn't push him to learn, so when he felt like reading at 7 years old, he was reading books in one month? And does he love reading because I'm a book-hound myself?

Vee-Mama
http://www.newviewgroupllc.com/

No comments: