Labels for Blog Postings:

Recommended Book: Home Learning Year by Year

This is what I call my bible for working with my now Tween. "Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School" by Rebecca Rupp.

My copy of this book is quite dog-eared. I bought it when my Tween was kicked out of kindergarten. They said he was too hyper and he wouldn't stop calling out the answers to the questions put to the class. Then when they confronted me about this and told me to either put him on medication or take him out... I took him out. I found a home daycare where he stayed while I worked (fulltime) and in the evenings, we worked on what we needed to. This book helped me see where we were and were we needed to be. I still have "w.o." written in margins (working on).

I got ambitious one week 3 or 4 years ago and planned out his entire curriculum through high school. This book was invaluable to that process. And it saved me time. I haven't had to do many revisions since that one time.

The book goes through preschool to 12th grade, and discusses, at appropriate age level, language arts (literature, writing, listening and speaking skills, study skills), math, history (american and world), geography, science (physical, life, earth/space), foreign language, art, music and health/physical education. It even gives books to read at the different levels, and some great resources.

We aren't at the right level for all subjects: some we're behind and some we're ahead. But I highly recommend this book for anyone who even supplements their child's education by doing work at home. Even better, get it so you'll know how close your child is at being at the appropriate level. Check it out!

No comments: